Wednesday 30 January 2019

A Garden is a Many Splendored Thing!

You may have noticed by now that I spend a lot of time in my garden either planting, clearing, planning or cursing. The cursing comes seasonally, due to wind, rain/no rain, moles or.... ants! At the moment we are prisoners in our home because of ants.... large and small but all of them biting ones! So my time is limited to filling bird baths, usually early morning or early evening, so I can dodge the nasty little critters!

But, every now and then I take my chances and actually do something constructive.

The garden in front of my boat (Maggie-May...I wrote about her) was looking extremely sad and tatty. The arctotis that had flowered so bravely for many years, was now time-expired and looking ghastly. There were also nasty thorny things appearing and so.. my next project was born!

The arctotis a few years ago looking really beautiful.

The folks behind us had a Weber standing on their veranda. This was not a new one and the last time it was used.... was in fact the very last time! The bottom had rusted so badly that it literally fell to pieces! The legs fell one way and the top fell the other and it was moved round the corner ready for the Refuse Removal chaps.

Legs one way, bottom the other!!


But......

I had a cunning plan!

The top and the bottom, although rusted and holey and blackened through years of use, could still be used.

As planters!

So, first I cleared the old dead arctotis and the prickly nasties from the area in front of Maggie-May. Then there was a bit of a hold up as I had to wait for 'klippies' to be delivered.


Cleared of dead plants, now waiting for the klippies!
The deliveries were still recovering after the Christmas break. I decided to plant bits from other hardy plants in the garden that had survived the terrible drought and actually thrived on old washing machine water!


Harry and the Boys standing guard!!

Finally, klippies, potting soil and plants came together and I now have a 'New Look' for the space in front of the bow of our Maggie-May! The bottom of the Weber stands in the corner and makes a statement too.

I think it looks lovely, and the addition of Harry and the Boys from the back garden just rounded it all off.

Beautifully, don't you agree?

No comments: