Thursday 3 November 2016

Pill-Poppers Rule!

I know what you are thinking!

I have not suddenly become a druggie in my old age, although I must admit that there are many times when my hips ache and my shoulders don't turn and my knees whinge when I am climbing the stairs, that I can easily imagine becoming hooked on pain killers and anti-inflammatories.

But no. This has nothing to do with drugs!

Last week I decided that it was time to de-worm the animals! We try to do it every few months when I have gathered the strength needed to do battle with the lot of them.

I am sure that you have read the 'How to give a cat a pill' followed by 'How to give a dog a pill'. For those of you who have not, very briefly it goes something like this:

First catch the cat. Wrap it in a blanket, don gloves and goggles and tuck the blanket-covered-cat that is by now a struggling demon with claws at the ready, under one arm while with the other you try to trap the legs and with the remaining hand prise the jaws open and flick the pill to the back of the throat. Once you have released the cat, you notice that in the ensuing chaos, the cat has gone 'ptooo', spat the pill onto the floor and has sauntered away, sharpening it's claws on the couch on the way out.

Then it's the dog's turn: Grab the pill, wrap it in a piece of bacon/cheese/ham/peanut butter smeared bread/ sausage/liver paste and simply chuck it in the direction of the dog who gobbles it down and sits grinning at you.

Whoever wrote this is lying.



Yesterday I went to the vet and bought the pills. One large white pill for Alfie and small pinkish pills for the cats.
Home I went and without saying a word about 'vet', 'pills', 'dog', I put everything in the kitchen. I know that Alfie is a nightmare when it comes to pills, so ignore the bit about 'wrap in bacon etc and chuck at the dog'. It doesn't work.

We have tried all kinds of things from wrapping  and putting it on Rob's plate so that Alfie thinks he is eating what we are eating, to scooping out a sausage, shoving pill in and putting the sausage meat back, to a chunk of ham/boerewors and even a piece of FILLET STEAK!!!!

He will not look at it.

So yesterday we knew that it would be the grab and shove routine.

Eventually Rob and I were exhausted, Alfie was a trembling, drooling  wreck and the pill was scattered around the floor in various stages of decomposition.

And the cats? I crushed their pills between two spoons, mixed each one in a spoonful of Morris' expensive bladder food and put the bowls on the floor.............. to be ignored.

All that I had achieved was a waste of all the pills and a sachet of expensive food.

So, after my stint at the Hospice shop today, back I went to the vet to buy more pills.

Open and ready for business.

And, an amazing little gadget called a pill-popper! It looks a bit like a syringe with a rubber piece on the end that holds a pill securely. Then once the mouth is open, in goes the popper, the end is pushed and the pill is released at the back of the throat, too far to be spat out!

The pill is by now down the throat!

Within five minutes everyone was done and wondering what had happened!

Except Alfie who still managed to spit it out............

But I bought an extra half to make up for the half that ended up all over the floor.

Pill poppers rule!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have had one of those for years and THEY DO NOT ALWAYS WORK!!!rather get the spot on muti for worms or just ignore the whole thing!congrats tho!!

Pauline said...

Our vet says that the spot on for worms doesn't really work and that the pill is far superior! Who do you believe! But as I said to Rob, next time we are taking Alfie to the vet and she can do the dirty!!

Unknown said...

Hi Pauline, this is my "go to tool" when deworming my cats. Dogs I just open the mouth and put far back in the throat - but then as you know I have GSDs :)!! For Mr Alfie, have a little syringe with some water in at the ready. After getting the pill into his throat, hold mouth closed and squirt a bit of water into the SIDE of the mouth - he will swallow! Pill poppers are as crucial in my life as cable ties... Lots of love from me and the Fur-Family

Unknown said...

Another comment from me! - re the spot-on dewormer. The product is the tick/flea control product, Revolution. It is effective against all worms except tapeworm. Used in the USA for heartworm which is not (yet)in SA. Expensive and needs to be applied monthly for fleas/ticks. Of course if you have fleas you are going to have tapeworm - fleas are the host.
I find the best dewormer for cats is Triworm C, for dogs Milbemax. I deworm regularly on a 6-month basis. xxx

Pauline said...

Yes...... I have learned this rather late in life!!! Hope you and the furries are well and happy! I think about you all every time I see 'your' house!

Pauline said...

That is exactly what I use, Triworm for Alfie and Milbemax for the cat contingency!! I have tried Revolution as well! Lots of love xx

Cathy D said...

I have managed to fool our dogs into taking pills. I wrap the pill into a piece of cheese and then cut another piece shaped the same. I show them the un-pilled piece and make such a fuss of how good it will taste. They focus so much on that piece, that they swallow the pilled piece without batting an eyelid.