Wednesday 24 December 2014

Ho Ho Ho!

I am so sorry if this starts off like another 'call back the past'! It isn't, it has a quick reference to the past and then fast-forwards to the present!
'Present' being the operative word!!
When I was small (skip through this next ramble if you are bored with my childhood bits), at the beginning of December every year, my sister and I would be given an Advent Calendar! I think my aunty Julia gave it to us, but that part is lost in the mists (more like fog) of time! We would take it in turns to open the little numbered doors, but we first had to find them as they were so cleverly hidden behind trees and rosy-faced children and snowmen!
Old Fashioned! (Pic thanks to Google)

And they were all covered in sparkly glitter that stuck to our fingers and rubbed off on our clothes and faces. Behind each little door was.....not a chocolate! There was a tiny picture hiding behind each one, angels, a sleigh, Santa Claus, and behind the last one, 24 December, was a tiny Nativity scene with donkeys and all!
Rosy faced children and sparkling snow.

I loved it and I remember being sad when we threw it away after Christmas. Now, because I am going back to the middle of the last century (wow), the ones with the chocolates behind each door had not yet been invented. I would really love one of those calendars now! Christmas was also the time when mum brought out her Angel Chimes, and when the candles were lit the angels flew round tapping the bells with their little wands. I think it drove everyone mad after a while as we only had it on for short times. I wonder what happened to it? I must ask my sister, she will remember!!
Just like ours! (Pic thanks to Google)

So, forward to the present! Two years ago I decided that I would like to organise an advent calendar for Mateo and Emma (Sasha was not here yet!) so I looked around to see what I could find.
Nothing.
Plan B. I decided to make one! We had loads of green felt that had travelled with us from Johannesburg and was being useful in many different ways! So, I cut out 24 pieces of varying sizes to make pockets, and racked my brains to think of 24 different festivy things to sew onto each one.
The pockets ready for arranging. 

I had such fun! From reindeer to candles to angels to rabbits (don't ask, I was running short on ideas) to a little church and a little house with a dog in the garden! And finally, a baby in a manger! I used buttons, ribbons, felt and little stick-on moveable eyes! 
The envelope has a tiny card inside!

I also made a little felt envelope and put a tiny card inside for Mateo and Emma, with love from granny, and the date. I shall add Sasha to the little card and a few more kisses!
Because I was heading over to see them in October, I rolled it up and carried it in a cardboard tube and Catherine and I bought a selection of sweets in Dubai (such a wide choice there).
Emma and Mateo and the calendar.

Andrew sent me photos last night. It's up in their bedroom but Emma cannot understand why she can only have the contents of one pocket a day! (I agree, I probably would have eaten the entire month's worth one sitting!) Mateo of course, understands, and keeps an eye on proceedings!
Oh just one more.........

This is now the third year that it has been hung and used and I like to think that they will use it for a long time to come.
OK, just one more then.........

To all of you who celebrate Christmas, may this one be filled with family and friends and all good things to eat! I shall miss my children even more at this special time, as for me it has always been a time to spend with family, but I look forward to seeing them all next year.
I doubt whether we shall have Peace on Earth and Goodwill to Men though.
But, we can live in hope!
Ho Ho Ho!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful, takes me back to my childhood - when life was so simple and worries were few and pleasures were many. xoxo Simba & Co

Pauline said...

Yes, now the worries are many and pleasures are simple!!! Miss you all xxxxx

Unknown said...

Yes indeed I have the angel chimes, don't use them as the noise drives me mad, but reminiscent of happy xmases of long ago, who remembers when the postman used to come on the 25th!!have so many memories..................

Pauline said...

Gee, remember postmen??? Actually, remember post??????? Yes, we have wonderful memories of our childhood, I wouldn't swap them for the world. Or you, sister dear!

Cathy D said...

We also had one of those Angel Chimes, given to us by ex mother-in-law - they are very German apparently. They got lost somewhere along the way in our many moves and changes. Such memories - thank you my old (in time terms!) friend.... xxx