Friday 25 January 2013

Dumb Drivers Driving Dangerously!


I have a question. Well, several actually!

Why is it that perfectly normal, sensible, well behaved people become utter imbeciles when they go on holiday? Why do manners get left at home along with the 9 to 5 business suits and collars and ties? Why do dads who never let their children into a car without a seatbelt, suddenly allow a 12 year old to drive? Or allow a 6 year old to perch on their lap, steering, while they work the pedals? Why do our dirt roads bring out the racing driver in someone who would never dream of driving over the speed limit in town? Why do they skid and slide round corners leaving clouds of dust in their wake to billow and drift into our homes, when they would be furious if someone did that to them?

We couldn't believe our eyes.


A few weeks ago a Toyata Rav with two 'ladies' in, broadslided (broadslid?) round the corner nearly losing control and rolling the vehicle. I happened to be in the garden at the time and saw them. Our neighbour came out as well to try and stop them if they returned. They saw us waiting for them, turned into a 'straat-loop-dood' (street-runs-dead), cul-de-sac, realised that it didn't go anywhere and they would have to come past us again, and simply drove across the greenbelt and back onto the road! By now I was racing down the street to have a word (well, several really, none of them polite!) with them. They simply ignored me even though I was within spitting distance (literally!) and drove off! I had the presence of mind to remember the registration number, told Rob and he and said neighbour hopped into Rob's car and tracked them down!! They were staying in a local guesthouse and were very shaken when they saw the two very angry men arrive to tackle them! I don't think they will do that again! The thing is, we have tortoises in our green areas, and there were baby plovers there too. They did 'klap' (hit) the car's undercarriage on a large rock, but sadly it didn't do any damage!

The guilty party!

Then on Monday, on the same corner, a black VW Golf skidded round sideways, narrowly missing a car and swerving several times to regain control. Out came the same neighbour and off went Rob with him, down to the fishing area. I followed with the camera to take photographic evidence! The young chap was given a severe talking to, but I really doubt that he will learn. So, I decided to phone the Traffic Police and ask them to go and talk to his parents. Well, that sounded easy hey? The first number I tried rang about twenty times and then a very nasal voice told me that 'the number you have dialled is not being answered'. I had to dial again to make sure that I had heard correctly! Yes, I had! The funny thing is, after twenty rings, you know it’s not being answered!

The marks are still there.

The second number I rang was the Call Centre, so I explained my story and asked to be put through to someone in traffic. 'Going through' was the answer. She must have tried every number in the place because after lots of ringing and muzak and more ringing, I finally got through to the..........Finance Department! I explained that I really was sure that she was a very nice person but I did not want to talk to her. She then said 'Hold on please, I'll put you through', and I ended up at the beginning, back at the Call Centre, speaking to the same girl! I had a déjà vu moment! We both tutted and sighed and I am sure that she was shaking her head as I was, and agreed that it was sad and very annoying! And that was that.

So, when I tell you that the best sight for us is that of cars leaving our village, weighed down with cooler boxes, bikes, canoes, children, granny and aunty and heading up the hill away from us, I'm sure that you understand why!!

No comments: