Monday 19 September 2016

Brickbat Update!

Well, a drumroll please...................

And the Final Brickbat goes to......................

AIG Insurance!!

This may sound a little confusing to those of you who did not read the sad saga of my lost/found/delivered but damaged suitcase on my return from Spain.

BA damaged it by breaking off a wheel, but happily washed their hands of any responsibility, (they don't cover anything that sticks out from a case, like wheels and handles), so as I had taken out extra insurance before I flew, I decided to claim for the cost of replacing my case.

Funny place to have a wheel!!!!!!!

Now, although it was not brand new, it was only a few years old, and used once a year, well twice this year because I visited my sister.

So, I contacted AIG Insurance (who insisted on addressing me as Miss Hollis!) and Rob printed the claim forms and filled them out and because we are honest people, we only claimed for the amount that we paid, namely R970.

Forms completed, Rob scanned them and emailed them and we had a mail confirming that they had received the forms.

And then we waited.

And waited

And waited.


Finally this morning I phoned to find out what was happening and why I had heard nothing in the meantime.
They had received the forms, they had been processed and they would pay into my account within 3 working days!

Well done, I thought, a bouquet to AIG. The extra insurance had cost me R750 but I was glad that I had taken it out, my suitcase could be replaced, it was all worth the trouble.

That's what I thought!

Wrong!

I received this mail  a few minutes ago..........

'We are in receipt of your travel claim.
Please be advised that an amount of R470.00 will be transferred into the account nominated by you in full and final settlement of your travel claim within 3-5 working days.
This amount is compiled as follows:

Description Claimed Amount Deduction Sum Payable   
Baggage damage:   
  
Case              970.00                             970.00   
Excess                                      500                -500



Trust you find the above in order.

Yours sincerely

Ryan Murray
Travel Claims Examiner
South Africa
0 860 104 146 Telephone
www.AIG.com'

A R500 deduction for what???????? Excess??????? And no, I don't find the 'above in order'.

Strike the bouquet. I am furious, disappointed and out of pocket. I am angry with BA for their casual attitude and with AIG for paying basically half of my claim.

What is the point of being honest?

For R470 I may be able to afford a backpack.

We should have claimed for R2000.

AIG and Ryan Murray.......Shame on you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I do not know how assurances work in SA but this sounds strange.
Remember the vulcano eruption in Iceland and that we had to stay 2 weeks more in SA than planned? Almost all costs were covered by my insurance. And guess what I payed for the insurance? The same R750 per year, also world wide coverage of medical things without limit.

Pauline said...

That sounds like Insurance should sound!! I agree it all sounds fishy and I should take the matter further. I just get angry at the rip-off side of the business when I am only asking for a fair amount to replace my damaged goods! I shall know for next time......
Who said 'Honesty is the best policy'? Obviously not an Insurance policy!!!!