Thursday 30 June 2016

If It's Thursday........!

This morning, Morris proved beyond a doubt that cats have an intelligence that is far superior to any other animal on the planet.

Read on:

Last Thursday was 'Morris To The Vet Day' as he was digging, but not filling, holes in the garden and we were worried that he had a bladder infection or small stones in his bladder. I also mentioned that our regular vet had surgery hours every afternoon except Thursday.......................

Our 8 kg Morris!

So, twice daily for the last week, Rob and I have scruffed (Rob) and shoved antibiotic pills down Morris' throat (me) followed by a special paste to help clear up any lingering infection (me), at great risk to fingers and hands! But he really has been a model patient and has swallowed everything that we shoved at him! He has been eating and playing with Kindle, somewhat roughly though I might add, and he and Basil are 'enjoying' a peaceful truce, mostly.

Morris and Basil doing the laundry. (All pics thanks to Rob)


Now, here is the part that proves how intelligent cats actually are.

We have a litter-box inside the house, close to the cat-flap, for emergency use! The last time it was used was when Kindle arrived and spent a number of weeks in the spare room. The litter is clean and fresh but a bit dusty with a leaf or two lying in it and the odd toy sometimes ends up in it after a bit of strenuous play.

This morning when I staggered downstairs (holding on to the rail..) Morris followed me down and went straight away to the litter box, dug in it, squatted as though he was weeing, looked at me and climbed out. It was dry. A few minutes later he did it again and once again it was dry. He then went outside with me, dug in a mole-hole heap of soil, looked at me and stood up. No wee.

That was all I needed to call Rob. He joined me outside and Morris dug again with the same result. When he was a bit reluctant to eat, we knew that he had been telling us that he was in trouble!
Of course it is Thursday and I had to be at the Hospice Shop for my volunteer duty by 09.00! And our vet only has visiting hours in the morning! And we knew that if we left it longer than this morning, our boy would be in dire straits (straights?) Only one thing to do........

I headed to Hospice, Rob headed to the shower, bundled Morris into the cat box, came to the Hospice shop (we weren't busy), picked me up and we were at the vet just after half past nine.

He loves to lie in Alfie's bed.

Yes, he was blocked, he was in distress, but yes, we were in time! Our wonderful vet whipped him away, tranquillised him and catheter-ed him. Rob dropped me back at Hospice and drove home! The day carried on! Later the vet phoned Rob to tell him that Morris was a lucky boy, his bladder had been full but not dangerously so, she had cleared about a teaspoon of urine crystals from his bladder and urethra, his bladder was now empty and he had managed a little wee by himself. She was confident that he would be fine but wanted to keep him in Hospital overnight to monitor him.

Hopefully he can come home tomorrow!

Now all three will have to get used to, and enjoy, the urinary tract support food. No choice.
But the amazing thing is this. He acted out his story.
He almost drew pictures in the sand!
He told us in the only way that he knew how.

Thank goodness we listened to him.

Superior intelligence?
You betcha!








8 comments:

Unknown said...

You remember William - he used to come and sit right in front of us and squat when he had the same problem!You're right it's as good as saying 'hey mum'!!hope Morris is home tomorrow.

Pauline said...

Yes I remember William, dad used to call him 'Plank', so rude of him!

Unknown said...

ask your vet for a "pill popper", about R35 - magic little device. love from us all xxx

Pauline said...

Yes I suppose I should invest in one! We had to rush Morris back to the vet this morning.....same story but she tranquillised him and managed to work the crystals out gently. More antibiotics but this time in a squeezy injection-type dispenser. Hold thumbs that they are all out now!

Unknown said...

That's Vibro vet - doxycycline, easier to administer than a tab. Sorry I am not closer, I always keep a homeopathic remedy I get from my old Jhb vet - works like a bomb. This is common in neutered males.

Cathy D said...

Hi Cheryl
Please let us know what the name of the homeopathic meds is..... We also have neutered males.......
Ta very muchly......

Pauline said...

Hi Cheryl, seems a few of us want to know what your remedy is!! details please....... Love to all the furries xxx

Cat Russell said...

Ask the vet for an injectable next time...so easy vs a pill. 😀