Thursday 24 March 2016

Hitching a Ride..................!

Sorry for the delay in writing this week, but I was away in Paarl for a few days! I was going to be cat-sitting over this Easter weekend, but Catherine and Stuart made the decision not to join the traffic and go away for the weekend but to stay at home and relax! So, although my ministrations were not needed, I drove down on Monday and back this morning...............

And thereby hangs a tale......

After a lovely few days with my daughter, that included rescuing a cute dog, (Google dachshund X beagle and find a black and brown one),feeding some feral cats, having a lovely meal out and some equally tasty meals in accompanied by wine and telly, I set off home this morning after breakfast at about 10. 'Great', I thought, 'I shall be home in time for lunch.'

And I would have been if the car had not broken down!


There I was bowling along at a steady 100 kph having waited twice at two of the stop/go places on the roads where the surfaces are being re-done. 'Westlife' was gently filling the car with song and all was well with the world. Hopefield was in sight, well not Hopefield the town as such, but the turbines that are situated just on the Malmesbury side and they were turning quite steadily in the wind.

And then I heard a 'beeeeeep' sound and looking at the instrument panel I saw a little red thermometer and the word 'STOP' in large red capital letters was flashing at me! This was replaced with 'CHECK MANUAL' and 'CHECK COOLANT'. As I watched, the temperature gauge climbed from the normal 90 to the red area 130. Now, this had all happened within a kilometre or so, because I am one of those people who check speed, petrol and temperature all the time! I would certainly have seen red lights and loud words!

I slowed right down to a crawl, put on my hazards and moved right over into the emergency lane. I called Rob on the radio, and fortunately he was monitoring the set in the office, so he answered straight away. He said to try to coast into Hopefield and he would meet me there. But, where is a downhill when you need one? So we decided that I should pull into the turn-off that leads to the turbines and he would jump in the Nissan with water and the dog and come to my rescue!

Which he did!

It was hot in the car, so I got out and stood in the breeze and listened to the turbines! I have always wanted to do that but we are usually on our way to or from somewhere with a caravan behind us, so today I was forced to stop and listen. And yes, they do make a swish and a whinge as the blades turn. And the blades bend with the force of the wind too. It is quite hypnotic actually and I found myself trying to fit 'Westlife' songs to the beat of the turbines, without much success I have to add!

Rob kept in touch via the radio and then another HAM joined in and said that he was near Tulbagh but would come and help us if we needed him. It was interesting to watch the traffic hurtle past and notice the caravans heading off somewhere!

When Rob arrived we opened the bonnet and took the lid off the water reservoir and saw that it was empty! Fortunately Rob had brought water and so we filled the container and watched. All seemed fine, so we set off, Rob following me. All seemed well, so we breathed a little easier!

Then......

'Beeeeeeeeep', flashing red lights and loud words again. Same thing, the water had drained out, so we knew there was an problem. Fortunately we were very close to a 'Bush Pub and Eatery', so we pulled in there and Rob asked the owner if we could leave the Golf there until we could organise a tow vehicle! No problem!

We transferred all the bits and pieces from the Golf to the Nissan and set off for home! But first, we headed into Vredenburg and found a tow truck that was owned by a very obliging chap called Boetie who arranged to go straight away to bring the car in and drop it at the VW workshop.

The Golf is now safely at the workshop and will be sorted next week. The mechanic  had a quick look and said that the water-pump had burst and seeing that they would be working in that area to replace it, they might as well replace the cam-belt at the same time............ Gulp.

But hey, it's cheaper than a new engine!

We then went home...........picking up a burger on the way!

This was no time to be cooking!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

You write "...and he would jump in the Nissan with water and the dog and come to my rescue!" After reading this I expected a heroic role for Alfie the Superdog in this story. But I did not read about it, so I assume he just helped you eating the burgers.

Pauline said...

Yes, Alfie had his cape and his ball and he also had extra moisture on board!! When he saw that we had enough water from the bottles that Rob had brought, he cooled down the tyres of the Golf and watered a couple of bushes!! And he helped us with the burgers.............