Wednesday 30 December 2015

It's That Time Of Year Again!

Yes, it's that time of the year when our thoughts turn to resolutions, re-resolutions and re-re-resolutions!! I feel as though I am in a time warp, as I cannot believe that 2015 is sinking into the mists of time like the sun sinks into the sea at the end of a perfect day. A single green flash and it has gone!

Pic thanks to Google.

So, this year I thought that I would begin with all the positive political news and happenings that have kept our country (barely) afloat this year. I thought that after all the doom and gloom of the plunging rand, the soaring petrol, food and daily living prices, the depressing number of rhinos being murdered for a few ignorant 'Oriental gentlemen', and the drop in the number of tourists visiting us due to the ridiculous idea that all sorts of papers are necessary to prevent legitimate people from 'trafficking' their own children across our borders, I would give you some really positive political news.

So here goes....



Right, moving on.

For us in our little corner of the country, life has been good. I visited my Spanish family with Catherine in April and spent nearly three glorious weeks with them. (I shan't mention the fact that Emirates was two hours late leaving Cape Town and we just missed our connecting flight to Madrid and spent nearly nine hours in Dubai airport waiting for the next available flight!) Then in August we had the bonus of a visit from my son Andrew together with my amazing grandson Mateo, as they flew over for a special birthday celebration. (Which they didn't manage to celebrate as the Embassy in Madrid had given them the wrong information re travelling with children (see paragraph above)........and they were not allowed on the plane and had to re-schedule.) But the silver lining was that once they were here, we enjoyed a few more days with them than was originally planned! And in November, Catherine and Stuart moved closer to us, so now my journey is only a two hour drive instead of six or seven! And for the first time in several years, we had some family to spend Christmas with. And it was fabulous!

Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas!!

Rob and I and Alfie of course, enjoyed several trundles in 'Hyacinth'. We re-visited some of our favourite places and we also headed further afield, where we explored and relaxed and read, and we plan to do more of the same in 2016. In fact, Rob recently bought a toilet tent so our 'porta-potty' will be cannily disguised during the day and private at night! It packs into a round 'envelope', about the size of a dustbin lid, and flings itself open when it is removed. In fact, when we opened it the first time, Basil was sitting watching. When it unfolded itself he took off as though he had been propelled from a canon!

And what would any New Year be without resolutions? Yes, those promises we make to ourselves that last about two days? Every year I joke about losing weight, but this year I am determined to keep my promise to myself......or is it a threat? I am already dreaming of ice-cream and chocolate mousse!

Thanks to Google

And what do I wish for in 2016? Apart from the serious things like health and an increase in my pension, some rain would be very welcome, as would a self-cleaning house and a self-sweeping veranda! And a visit from my sister! And I sincerely hope that I shall still be here this time next year with Rob and Alfie and the cats. The ridiculous things like world peace and a buoyant economy will never happen. Certainly not in my lifetime!  With our rand hovering between 16 and 17 to the euro, my Spanish holidays may be a thing of the past.

But, maybe it will all change......

Pic thanks to Google

After all, 2016 is the Chinese Year of the Monkey.

So finally, to all my friends and family, young and mature, who remain scattered around the country and the globe, I have three words to say...

Happy New Year!






4 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me give you some hope about 2016:
"The Year of the Monkey 2016 is a good year to break free and take calculated risks as there is nothing more powerful or rewarding than following your heart’s desire. The energies are supporting these changes."
The toilet tent is clearly one of those calculated risks, so nothing can go wrong in that respect.

But also:
"Mr. Monkey can be menacing as he can easily overthrow old conventions that no longer work. This could mean toppling of old empires or iron fisted bosses. So just remember, bosses that have been taking advantage of this economic down turn may soon learn to regret it. All things find their balance eventually."
That gives hope to South Africa, doesn't it?

Happy New Year!

Pauline said...

From your mouth to God's ears!!! Now we wait for the monkey!! In the meantime, we both wish you and Hedwig a very Happy, safe and healthy 2016!

Unknown said...

Wonderful words as always! I never bother with new years resolutions, and now that we have a monkey throwing spanners in the works, definitely not!!!You will see me sometime this year, have no fear!!

Pauline said...

Ok, I shall hold you to that...........