Saturday 22 August 2015

Dark Clouds and Silver Linings!

You may have noticed a gap between my last writing and this one!

The reason?

I have been away! I went to Knysna and spent a wonderful few days with both my children and one amazing grandchild!

It was supposed to have been a few weeks ago, the end of July to be precise, but incompetency ruled the day.

So I guess I shouldn't mention the idiotic ruling about children travelling with one parent. I am not going to dwell on the fact that the Embassy in Madrid gave him the wrong information regarding the necessary documentation, or that the requirements changed between then and him boarding the plane. So, I shan't bore you with the fact that they were not allowed to fly when they should have flown, or that it cost a fair amount to change the tickets and the planes were full for the next two weeks, or even that Andrew missed his dad's birthday (the whole point of his visit actually!) And I shall be very quiet about my anger, frustration and sadness when I received the message from him at Madrid airport to say 'They won't let me on the plane and I'm not joking.' (And the words 'bungling inefficiency' will never cross my lips!)

Anyway, the Silver Linings................ He managed to re-book his holiday and he was able to spend two more days with us in Knysna! And I still had my holiday to look forward to when really it was supposed to have come and gone!


He finally arrived with Mateo in Johannesburg!!!!!!! Documentation correct!!! I had driven to Knysna on the Sunday before they flew on the Tuesday (still with me?) and spent a few days with Catherine before we drove to George meet the Boys!

A sea star rescued from the sand.

How wonderful to be with them for a few days, and to spend time playing with, or simply watching and chatting to Mateo as he explored rock pools, built ponds and dams with his dad, and ran on the sand.

Beautifully arranged shells by Mateo.

We played Rummy and Monopoly Deal, both games played expertly by Mateo and un-expertly by me! Catherine and Mateo built a Lego jungle and played for hours. We played Solitaire with 'Chuckles' and ate them as we jumped them! Then we ran out of sweets so we used marbles!

A beautiful python.

And we visited the Snake Park near Plettenberg Bay.

Our picnic spot in the National Park.

We braaied, at home and in the beautiful surrounding of a National Park, we went out for pizzas and we simply enjoyed every precious minute that we had with them. They ate their way through packets of biltong and Andrew enjoyed koeksusters daily!

And then, all too soon, it was time to say goodbye.

Hello there Officer..........

And I hope that all the Traffic Police that I passed on the way home were as laid back and friendly as the 'cop' that we saw in the National Park!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know you had a fantastic time with the family, this blog proved that!!I was with you in thought!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful "Happy Dance" post Pauline! These times are to be treasured. I always called them starfish??

Pauline said...

Yes, me too.....but apparently they are not strictly fish, so have been re-named as Sea Stars!! I like it I must admit!!

Pauline said...

And we thought of you a lot too and wished you were with us...........and drank many toasts to you both!