Monday 6 July 2015

Come In Number 4...............!

A couple of weeks ago we had a fleeting glimpse of a small tabby cat that raced through the garden and over the wall and down the road. Not far behind was Blackjack, the large, long-haired feral that we are feeding in the garden. As wild as a goat, he waits for us to put food out most evenings and glares at us through yellow slits if we get too close.

We didn't see the tabby again until the week before last, when she (as I saw) came into the garden again and cried for food. Her haunches had that caved-in look that a really hungry cat gets, and she was obviously living rough. Also wild and terrified, she wouldn't let us get anywhere near her, but as we backed away, she came to eat, cramming the food into her mouth as fast as she could.

This happened for three evenings running. Rob and I watched her eat and then he asked me what I was going to call her. I thought about it, and then he said 'She is a small tabby, more like a tablet'
And I said 'Kindle!'

So Kindle she is! It also is the name for a litter of kittens which I thought was very appropriate. And we are trying to kindle a friendship with her.

Kindle arriving for food.



Then Basil saw her.

He launched himself at her and chased her up the neighbours tree! After I had removed him, forcefully, I eventually persuaded her to come down and eat while I stood guard!  The following evening as I took the food out to put in the corner of the garden, she came to meet me and as she ate, I slowly managed to touch her on her back! She bit me for my trouble, but it was a breakthrough! Then she didn't come for a few days and I thought that we had seen the last of her. Plus, where on earth do you start to look in a village that is more open area than house?

Two evenings ago as we walked with Alfie and Basil, we saw her in the garden just round the corner. I stayed to talk to her as she was happy to come to me and Rob carried on with the walk. On the way back both Alfie and Basil came to see what I was doing, Alfie was quite happy to be friendly and she was quite happy to be friendly too......................but Basil wasn't!

Making short work of supper!

Up another tree in another garden just down the road. I grabbed him and carted him home and bundled him through the door! Back I went with food and Kindle came down the tree!! Later that evening I had a phone call from Marie (the lady who owns said house) to say that she had my cat there, it was hungry and she was giving it chicken! She was happy to let me feed Kindle there any time, so yesterday at about four I trekked down the road armed with food, bowls, milk and blankets! And I sat with her for about half an hour while she ate and drank and purred and chatted.

Please can I come home with you?

This morning I went to see if she was there. Yes, she was in the field behind Marie's house and she came when she heard me call her. We chatted for a while and then she followed me home.

My knees have holes in them now!

And then Basil saw her and again chased her away. Dopey is also doing the bully act, forgetting that he was in the same position not so long ago and that both Dilly and Daffy allowed him to move in. Not that they had much choice, Dopey decided he was home and that was that!

I am planning to take Kindle to Aunty Vet soon to be fixed. I want to keep her inside too while she recovers, and to introduce the Bully Brothers slowly through closed doors and shared food!

And then? If all goes well? We find her a good home or..................

Come in number 4.........................


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Just take out the bits starting 'And then.....& ending home or...' you know number 4 is there to stay, stop trying to kid us (and yourself!!)Kindle is very lucky .......and so are you and Rob, you're catching us up fast!!!

Pauline said...

You could be right.......watch this space!!

Cheryl said...

I have always believed that somehow cats know when there is a "vacancy". God I wish there were more Robs and Paulines! Pretty little girl. Wonder how long she has been fending for herself. Reckon she has a sad story, think she must have known humans or (in)humans at some time - like so many millions out there. She seems to love you already!! Thank God she found you. Best the Bully Boys tidy their wardrobe and make space - and suck up the fact that she has moved in!!! Lots of love from me and the furries, from a wet, bone-achingly, nose-drippingly cold Napier. xxx

Unknown said...

Today we also have a new cat, Neo, number 3. It is more a small black panther than a cat, but he is afraid like a mouse of everything that moves. Hedwig is also talking about a number 4.....

Pauline said...

How long does it take for them to adjust? Basil now thinks that he is Top Cat and of course is about three times her body weight!! Love you guys xx

Pauline said...

Well done!! Every house needs a cat or two.....or three........or four.........
Thanks so much for reading and commenting on my blog!! Much appreciated.

Cheryl said...

But of course Mr B is Top Cat!!! give them a month. she must be tiny because Basil is not a big cat - but having said that, I compare to Simba who is, as you know, quite a substantial fella!!!