Monday 18 May 2015

Friends and Angels!

I realise that this is a day or two late, and I apologise profusely! But yesterday I went to a birthday lunch with my oldest and longest-loved friend!! (I am actually four days older than Cathy, so we have a four day window where I was a whole year older!!!) We met in February 1959, on my first day at my new school in Lusaka, and became firm friends. We rode together, spent weekends with each other, and got up to the sort of fun mischief that used to happen in those days..........no drugs or trouble, just fun!

1959 or 1960! Look how thin I was!!!

Anyway, on the way to their farm, I was actually pondering about the blog and what to write this week! (Genius doesn't come easily, and I put a lot of thought and planning into my witty and  thought provoking blogs!)
The countryside is still dry and looking really desperate now, many farmers have already ploughed with the hope that rain will follow, but the vines are turning the most beautiful shades of yellow and red.

So as I drove past small dams that are slowly drying up, I saw birds; herons and small water birds. We always notice birds, Rob and I love to 'bird-watch' wherever we go.
And that was my 'Eureka' moment!! A bird update!!

Read on:


Last year (July 7 to be precise!) I wrote about the Angel-winged geese and how we could have saved them had we but known.

Early one morning a week or so ago, we heard Egyptian Geese calling and rushed out to have a look. (We tend to get excited about things like that, other people may get excited about a new car!) There, circling overhead and over their old home, were three geese and Pieta was calling back! It was real hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck stuff, and I had to admit to a lump in my throat! We are convinced that they were the three who flew so readily last year, popped back to check in with mum and let her know that all was well.

After circling a few times and making quite a noise about it, they flew off together, Pieta stopped calling and we were left to continue (to start actually) our day.

But we regularly see the two Angels.

Because of their condition, they remain earth-bound. They live in the bay and every day they walk up to Philip's house, where they graze on the lawn. We were quite worried about them over the December period, as our traffic increased one hundred fold and there were 'uitlander' dogs who were quite interested in them. So they stayed in the bay where they were safe, and Emma (our next door neighbour), walked down every day with fresh water and food for them.

Calling at the gate! Hurry up, where's the food?

And, they survived! They coped with holiday makers, building sites, and delivery trucks. They made their way to the grass and dodged Pieta's attempts to chase them away.

Now, they come regularly for food and water, they call to Emma and she has ice-cream containers ready at the gate! If she is not there, they come to us and call, loudly, and we answer the call with mealies; there is always fresh water available for them............and the Guinea Fowl that arrive every morning!

Looking healthy.

It is wonderful to see how they have adapted to their condition, but I wonder if they realise that they should be flying free, far and wide, and if they are happy to be fed and watered, close to home?

Once they are full, they leave and return to the bay!

I wonder if they look up when other geese fly over and wish that they were there with them?

I wonder if they will ever find a mate and breed and raise young who will spread their wings and leave them behind?

I like to think so.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure those 3 were Pietas adopted brood, I also like to think so!

Cathy D said...

I think it was February 1957 when we met in Miss Mills' Std 3 class at Lusaka Girls' School. Gosh we were thin in those days weren't we?? Of course we weren't as wise as we are now, and need the extra weight to house all that wisdom...... That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.....!!! Thanks for coming through and making it such a lovely day xxxx