Sunday 16 November 2014

Thali Thali!

When Rob is away (as he is at the moment), I tend to not bother too much with cooking. I may grab a chunk of cheese and stand at the kitchen sink staring out of the window, or if I have avocados I whip up a batch of soup at least once a day!! I haven't made it for breakfast yet.......but I wonder what it is like poured over Corn Flakes?

The entrance off the R27.

So, when my neighbour Emma invited me to breakfast on Friday morning, I was thrilled to say the least. The choice was either the nursery at St Helena Bay (always yummy), or Thali Thali, a privately owned Cape West Coast game and fynbos reserve. I have never been to Thali Thali, so we didn't bother to toss the coin! Situated on the R27 just near Langebaan, Rob and I must have driven past the entrance hundreds (well maybe not) of times and each time we have said 'We really must go there one day and see what it's like!', like a mantra!



This greets you as you arrive at the Lodge.

Emma and Coert have been there several times and love it. So off we set!

The original farmhouse.

The reserve is a 1,460 hectare property that started life as a farm. Gradually game was introduced to the area and now there is a wide selection, both home grown and foreign, including kudu, oryx, eland, springbok, zebra, wildebeest, ostrich, a camel or two and emu! There are also giraffe interestingly enough, with tall feeders especially for them, as they are not endemic to our low fynbos!

One of the cottages, the others have Zebra and Warthog decoration.

There is accommodation too, cottages, luxury tents and the old original farmhouse with four bedrooms. We peeped into one of the cottages and I was most impressed!

One of the luxury tents.

But the breakfast!

I didn't eat again on Friday, this was breakfast, lunch and supper!

I must admit I love going out to breakfast, it sets me up for the whole day, there is no washing up to bother with when I get home and I don't go to bed on a full stomach! We sat on the veranda overlooking a small water hole and watched the birdlife while we drank our second cup of coffee! I took a photo of my breakfast and sent it to Rob.

A wonderful outing!

I didn't feel too sorry for him that he wasn't with us as he was winging his way to Skukuza to spend a couple of days in Kruger Park!

But I shall definitely take him to our little Game Reserve when he gets back!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to go there one day! Would love to meet an emu, read about them in country life, they sound delightful!

Pauline said...

Well, it is here and waiting for you.....................................so am I!!!!!