Thursday 15 May 2014

Of This and That!

I have become very tardy lately! For the last week I have been wondering what to write about next. My head is full of ideas, so much so that I cannot pin it down to one subject, so I have done nothing about anything!!

But, here we go!

I shall skip over my birthday (yes, another one, don't they come round quickly?? And I had a wonderful day starting with coffee in bed, even though it was an even numbered day! Add to that skypes with my family and chats with lots of friends, wine at lunchtime and rugby to watch later and you get the picture! And, Saturday Chicken for lunch, on a Saturday too!) Rob had a four day tour starting on Sunday, so he set off after lunch on Sunday and Alfie was a little confused with the comings and goings!

Oh, look what's on the telly! This has nothing to do with the story, but it's quite funny!


Now to the interesting part............. On Tuesday lunchtime, Emma called me over the wall. She was holding a fat Jack Russell bitch that had meandered into her garden from goodness knows where, and wasn't going anywhere fast. Alfie hopped over to have a look, and of course, so did Basil! This little soul was elderly, well fed and had a large brown patch at the base of her spine. The rest of her, apart from her ears, was white. No collar or course, but she was not a dog that either of us recognised. So I phoned a few people but came up with nothing. In the meantime, she walked out of Emma's gate and set off with purpose down the road, past our house, only to turn in at our drive and appear at the front door a moment later. Now, I was waiting for a delivery at home (which incidently didn't arrive), so I was not able to leave the house. Never mind, a friend from down the road offered to come and look at the dog, and then to write a notice on the large notice board at the entrance to the village. Which she did.

Are you still with me? Good!

Basil puddlejumping with Pieta!

So, I decided to take her (the little lost dog that is) for a little walk down the road to see if she recognised anything. Alfie then became quite excited, barked furiously and jumped over the wall into the road, almost on top of Pieta the goose who had come to see what all the fuss was about! Both of them got a fright, Pieta honked loudly, flapped her wings and ran and Alfie decided to chase her. Down the road away from home. Basil by then had hopped over the wall and was following Alfie, and Astro (the Scott's dog) joined in thinking this was great fun. I then tried to head the whole lot off before they got too far down the road, but the faster I walked, the faster everyone went. Then I realised two things: firstly, the situation was rapidly deteriorating into chaos and secondly, Marna and Nicola had watched the whole thing and were having a good laugh. Thank goodness Nicola then came to my rescue, scooped up her goose, called Astro and took them home.

Innocent and exhausted!!

I grabbed Basil, called Alfie and retreated.

And the lost dog?

I presume it went home. I haven't seen it again.

I am sure it will stay away from this side of town if it gets lost again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Never a dull moment with all the livestock causing chaos!

Cathy D said...

Sounds as chaotic as when I decided to take 4 dogs and Rogan for a walk down to the bottom of the farm, and Leo tagged along without me knowing.....!! Justin's two dogs are not Leo friendly, so it turned into a circus.... - fortunately, I DON'T think I had an audience.....!!!