Saturday 29 March 2014

Surprises and Celebrations!

Isn’t technology wonderful? When you read this in ‘real time’ next week, I shall have written it last week…………But, thanks to Rob and the power of forward planning, it’s all on time and perfectly done!
Puzzled? Let me explain!

On Wednesday the 2 April, I am slipping secretly into Spain with my daughter! Why secretly you may be asking? Well, it's my son Andrew's fortieth birthday on the 3 April, so it seemed a good idea to combine a visit to my far-flung children and enjoy a birthday celebration at the same time! He had some idea that we would be there for his birthday, as I had hinted last year that I would hopefully be visiting in March or April as the weather was perfect at that time of year, both in Madrid and in Dubai.

Then Irina (Andrew's wife) mentioned that it would be a wonderful surprise for him if we simply arrived without telling him (this is familiar territory, I tried it with my sister last year and ended up giving the game away, remember?) Catherine and I thought about it and agreed, and so, the back-peddling, deception and re-planning began!

Dopey keeping my case safe from harm!
Catherine booked all the air tickets, and yippee, she is coming with me for a week! She organised an apartment close to the family for us to stay in for the first few days, and she told Andrew that she was too busy at work to be able to take any leave.

The emails flew between Spain, Dubai and South Africa, I gave phony dates to Andrew and told him that unfortunately we would only be able to visit in September/October due to 'other commitments'! I told him that Rob was away in April, that we were probably going to Kruger Park in June and that it was too hot to visit in their summer, and waited with bated breath for him to swallow the bait! And he did, hook, line and sinker! (I think!) Irina then got busy organising the surprise party, the gift and everything else, including the venue.

So, Catherine and I fly to Madrid on the 2nd April and Irina will call for us at our apartment on her way home from work. We shall simply arrive, and I am longing to see his face when he opens the door! I am also longing to see my grandchildren and to get to know them a little more. Skype and photos are wonderful, but they can't compare to the real thing!

As I write this I have 3 dozen koeksusters in the freezer for him and I shall get a bottle of Amarula cream liqueur at the airport. With my nerves I may just have finished it before I board the plane!!

Last Saturday I told him that I had posted a small parcel for him and he said that he would let me know when it arrived.

Do I qualify as a small parcel?

Hmmm, maybe not!

(Normal service will be resumed when I return at the beginning of May!)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know you've arrived safely and are, at the time of writing, having a marvellous time with the family, only wish I was with you!!