Sunday 17 November 2013

A Surprise that's Not!

As I write this, my stomach is churning. Why? Because on Tuesday morning Rob is driving me to the airport. Early. We shall leave at about 7, a time that is normally the middle of the night for us pensioners. That is usually the time one of us opens one eye to see if it's coffee time, and if it's an odd number day, Rob does the honours. If it's an even day, it's my turn!

But, as usual I digress.

I am flying to Durban at 10.35 on Tuesday morning. Landing in time for lunch! This was all planned way back at the beginning of the year when my brother-in-law Norman contacted me about my sister's birthday. I blithely suggested that I fly down (up, over, across?) to spend some time with them, as a huge surprise and he was sworn to secrecy! My plan was to simply arrive at the door the day before her birthday and take a photo of her face as she saw me!

Taken last year, Diana, Catherine and me!


All was well and I booked my ticket and arranged a lift with a good friend of ours from the airport to Pietermaritzburg. Shirley was also sworn to secrecy! A couple of months went by with text messages and emails flying back and forth and my sister non the wiser!

Then I decided to tell my sister that I was coming! Why? I wanted her to be able to count down the weeks and the days till I arrived, I wanted to plan her birthday lunch with her, I wanted to be able to say 'When I am there...................' to her, and for her to say 'When you're here I thought that we could................' to me! It somehow has made it so much more exciting. It has made the fun last longer! Plus, I am hopeless at keeping secrets! Especially if they are good ones!

A taste of things to come!

So, I shall not be doing any writing for my blog until I return, you will just have to re-read all my entries if you start to suffer from withdrawal symptoms!

Two sleeps till I fly! Rob has checked the weather for Tuesday and happily there are no storms predicted. No lightning or gale force winds. No hectic turbulence that leaves me white knuckled and weak at the knees. I want to hear the pilot say 'Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome on board, sit back and relax, we have a smooooooooooooooooooth flight ahead.'

But, I'll be back in a couple of weeks. Gulp. More stomach churning time to come.

I bet that Alfie doesn't even realise that I am not here! Sigh!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I know, I hate surprises!! Even if Alfie doesn't miss you, Boscombe is sooooo looking forward to seeing you (can't understand why the study has been rearranged!!) am so excited as well!!

Pauline said...

Have the Champers on ice, the olives ready and Boscombe can sleep on my bed if he is very very good and makes himself the size of a mouse!!! Ha ha!!