Saturday 15 June 2013

On-line Shopperholic!

I have become an 'online-shopping-groupie' at my age! It all started when I wanted to buy a new pair of Birkenstock sandals. I bought a pair when I was in Dubai two years ago and except for showering and sleeping, they never left my feet! So when they finally gave up the ghost (or should I say the sole), I looked around in SA to replace them. I found two outlets, one in Cape Town and one in Johannesburg, very close to where we used to live. A friend went to price them and left very hurriedly after hearing that they would be over R700, gulp! So, Plan B. On-line at Amazon.com!! Yes, there they were at less than half the price, in my size, the colour I liked, everything! But, when I came to give my address.............they don't ship to SA.

'Aha' said my daughter 'But they do ship to Dubai!' So, on to Plan C. My shoes began their trip halfway round the world. From the USA they went to Dubai and from there they travelled with Stuart in his luggage to Johannesburg. He had his business meetings and posted my shoes. And they arrived safe and sound. And the best part is that they fit! And they are perfect!

Beautiful Birkenstocks!


My next on-line success was with Rooibos tea. I have to say that I do not like tea, but Rob brought back some single serving Dilmah Rooibos tea from one of his trips and I like it! Of course, I threw the little packets away, and then could not find the tea in our local shops. Anywhere! So I Googled the company, found an email address in Sri Lanka and wrote to them. Back came a mail with a Cape Town email address! Off I wrote explaining my dilemma, I had no idea where Rob had got the tea and he wasn't completely sure either. All I knew was it was from a hotel in Cape Town. Never mind, we tracked it down and they posted some boxes off to me!

To make a perfect cuppa.

Last month we were away in the caravan and we bought some delicious olive jam! Yes, I  know it sounds odd but with cheese and cold meat it is fantastic! I decided to email the estate as it was from Kloovenburg Wine Estate, and ask if there was  an outlet near us. Failing that, would it be possible to post some jars to me. I explained that I lived in a tiny village called Jacobsbaai and we were quite far from them. Back came a reply that nearly knocked me over!! Yes, they know exactly where Jacobsbaai is as they deliver wines quite regularly to the one and only hotel that we have here!! Whatever I wanted could be added to the weekly order and I could pick it up from the hotel! A price list was attached and if we did the EFT, our order would be on its way in the morning!

Where to begin?

How on earth did I manage before I discovered the freedom and joy of online shopping?

No comments: