Friday 24 May 2013

Season of Mist and Mellow Fruitfulness!

I remember learning this poem ('Ode to Autumn' by John Keats) when I was about ten! It matters not that I only remember the first few lines, I am impressed that I remember that much seeing as I sometimes forget what day it is and only realise when I read the TV guide!

We have had nearly a week of waking up to thick mist, or is that fog? And what's the difference anyway? According to Rob, if you cannot see further than one kilometre, then it's fog. But as I cannot visualise one kilometre then it doesn't help! Anything damp, thick and white is mist!

The view of the mist from our bedroom.


Every morning we have had a blanket of mist covering our village, the fingers creeping past  the houses, up the streets and swirling through the trees. It's beautiful and it muffles sound, so it's difficult to pinpoint where a dog is barking, and voices seem to travel for miles. Interestingly though, once we leave the village and head up the hill to Vredenburg, the mist clears and the sun is usually out.

The houses loom out of the mist!

When I drove home yesterday after my stint in the Hospice shop, there was a huge tanker on the horizon. Its superstructure loomed out of the mist and it looked quite eerie. Once I reached home, I couldn't see it, but could hear it, its engines loud through the white haze.

There's a hill behind the old farm buildings heading out of the village.

Talking of engines (see how well I tie things together?), the fog in Cape Town this morning caused havoc at Cape Town International Airport. Rob sent me this image from 'flightradar24.' showing the path taken by the British Airways flight from Heathrow, London. The scheduled flight to Cape Town, but unable to land, it fiddled about over the sea in a holding pattern for a while and then was diverted to Johannesburg! You can see the path it took.

The eventual flight path for the BA flight.

My first thought was I hope that they had enough fuel to get there!

My second thought was, who wants to go to Johannesburg when Cape Town is your destination!

Shame!

No comments: