Saturday 27 April 2013

On the Road Again!


We've just returned from a lovely few days away in Gemsquash. I say 'lovely' because it's always great fun to camp, behave like tourists, be lazy, read and generally loll about. However, the campsite was in the middle of the town of Montagu, a beautifully kept, tidy and pet friendly park. The ablution blocks were spotless and the grass was green and lush.

They visited us daily for Alfie's food!

The only other people around were pensioners, like ourselves!

Rob showing a few photos to our neighbours!

So, what was wrong I hear you asking? The noise from the traffic was unbelievable! Remember, we have about twelve cars passing us on a busy day here, so we forget what it is like in town! We were directed to a corner of the park that was next to a road that went up a hill and had a sharp turn at the bottom, so we had brake noise, revving noise, hooting noise, radio noise, general engine noise and the odd shouts of drivers to pedestrians noise! Add dogs barking and you have some idea of what it was like. Apart from that, it was super, and we met some really nice people who all fell in love with Alfie!



A wonderful place to browse and have coffee, in Ashton

One of the best things about exploring a town is the shopping! Now, I don't mean the run-of-the-mill food and clothing and furniture type shops, no, I mean the little antiquey 'junk' shops, the quaint farm stalls and the garden centres!

A sunbird feeder we found at the Nursery in Robertson.

I cannot drive past one, I point and whimper, lean to the appropriate side and hope that Rob has got the message! He usually does, and fortunately he is as much a sucker for these shops as I am.
We found some really fascinating 'bargains' this trip as you will see below! Montague is also the Fruit and Nut Capital of the area and we loaded ourselves with nuts and dried fruit to bring home as gifts (some of them!)

Isn't it beautiful? It stands about a metre high.

This metal tree just called to both of us. It is so 'Weskus', the wind rippling through the branches, the whole tree leaning sideways as though windswept, we fell in love with it on sight! We shall have it rust-proofed though before we attach it to the side of the house or it will last a season or two before crumbling into oblivion!

From Platform 62.

This candle holder cost a 'whopping' R15.

And here is the 'green version' of Aladdin's magic lamp! A solar powered light jar!

We used it in the caravan, perfect!

I have wanted one for ages and ages, and we found this one in a tiny shop in McGregor. In fact I took two before I asked her how much they were, and Rob's jaw hit the ground when I 'borrowed' R400 to pay for them! I was also a little overwhelmed but by then I couldn't change my mind! I am pretty sure that they cost a lot less if you buy direct from the factory! Chalk it up to experience! At my age you'd think that I would ask the price first!


Let's go!

And, here's proof of how much Alfie enjoyed his trip............he's ready to go again, ball and all!

No comments: