Tuesday 5 February 2013

A Collector by any other Name!


I like to think of myself as a Collector.

A serious collector of Memorabilia, or as my children would say, 'a hoarder of junk!' I love 'olde worlde' things and our kitchen is a showcase of days gone by!! (Except the things that really matter, like a stove, fridge, freezer, hot water, microwave, washing machine...............)

My favourite things are coffee or tea pots and old enamel jugs and bowls and various kitchen gadgets. Rob collects old wireless sets, so between us we never leave an Antique (aka junk) Shop empty-handed.

And we both love tins!

Tins above and an old radio below.


A good many of these things have come from the Hospice shop where I work every Thursday morning. But one of the old jugs was part of my childhood. Mum collected a number of 'Bourneville Cocoa' labels, posted them to somewhere, and back came an aluminium jug with a 'frother' goody incorporated into the lid. She would make our cocoa or a coffee ‘dash’ and agitate the hot milk so that we had a lovely frothy bedtime drink. Such memories.

My  jug collection.

Anyway, this morning I decided to do some cleaning! That should be a matter of course I know and I really do try to keep it up, but we have very strong winds here and lots of dust, so it really is a battle and sometimes it's a losing battle! But I did some today as we are going away tomorrow.

See the Man in the Moon with his cup of cocoa!

Let me explain. I have always tried to leave the house clean and tidy when I go away, just in case I don't come back! So, clean sheets and towels, clothes neatly folded and put away, ironing done and I waft around with the feather duster and my ‘enjo’ floor cleaner, because I would hate the person who has to sort through all the things that we have here, to think that I was a real slut! I don't care what they think of me now, while I am still alive, but they must not have any reason to speak ill of me when I can't answer back!

More antiques!

So I sorted the kitchen and washed the antiques and wiped the surfaces that I could see and felt really good when I stopped.

And there is still a space or two for antiques that we may be lucky enough to find while we are away!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Luckily there were not too many opportunities to find more junk