Monday 31 December 2012

Happy New Year!


They say that the camera never lies. Well, I'll tell you another thing that never lies...............a bathroom scale!

And as I write this, I'm once again planning my New Year Resolutions! I remember doing this the same time last year, and the year before……..vowing to cut out all sugar, starch, anything that remotely resembles a cake or a biscuit and picturing myself losing at least 10 kilos before the end of January.

Resolutions, January 1st

Ha! Also, eating half of what I normally eat and going for strenuous walks every day. Ha!

Resolutions January 2nd


Now, according to Google, New Year Resolutions go way back, long before modern man became obsessed by making (and breaking), the same promises that I make (and break) each year! Read on……

‘The ancient Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts.
The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named.
In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry.’
(Thanks to Google)

So, has anything changed? We still have the borrowed objects and the debt problem. I must admit that I love the idea of a ‘Peacock Vow’, as chivalry is almost non-existent! I could mutter ‘You anti-peacockist you!’ as a non-chivalrous male shopper shoves in front of me in the supermarket queue! Or nips into the parking spot that I have been waiting patiently for with my flicker showing that I am, in fact, next in line for it! (I think I have made up a word there, but you know what I mean.)

The top three resolutions worldwide seem to be; Lose weight (oh yes!), Stop drinking (hmmmm) and Stop smoking (that’s easy, I don’t smoke), followed by: Improve your education (too late), Improve your finances (yes please) and Change your career (retirement is a career?).

So, this year I am not bothering with all the diet resolutions. It's not worth the angst that I feel every time I cheat. I have decided to simply live every day as though it's my last one; after all, listening to the horrific statistics related to our spiralling road death toll, it could be! What difference will it make to have lost ten kilos if I am wiped out by a drunken driver as he plunges through a red robot (traffic light)?

(Thanks to Google)

In the meantime, Happy New Year! I hope that 2013 is as good to you and yours, as I hope it is to me and mine!

No comments: