Friday 30 November 2012

Food Glorious Food!


I seem to spend a great deal of time thinking (and talking) about food! And I feel that a holiday must be filled with 'edible memories'! In Dubai, as it was still quite hot during the day (up to 40 deg!), it was impossible to sit outside, so the fantastic lunches that Catherine and I enjoyed were eaten inside air-conditioned restaurants and delis. And I enjoyed every one! Too much! From Lebanese to Italian to Japanese to local, the presentation, quality and taste was such that I could feel the weight settle round my hips!

Our meal in Abu Dhabi!

But that was ok, because I knew that I would be doing more walking in Madrid and therefore I would lose it again!! Ever hopeful, that's me!



Tortilla and a glass of coffee.

I love Spanish food! And you are never far away from a pavement cafe, thank goodness. A breakfast of tortilla and coffee is a great way to start the day and a few minutes walk from Andrew and Irina's apartment is just far enough!

The tomato was delicious.
One morning Andrew and I had a tomato passata covered roll to set us up for the day, followed by a delicious pizza and glass of wine for lunch in the main road not far from them. Between meals we did a few chores, went shopping, and looked forward to some serious people watching while our waiter dodged the traffic to deliver our beer, wine and pizza!

Waiting for the pizza! With Emma and Andrew.
And it arrived minutes later.

Here's an interesting fact about Spain. Apart from a full menu, most restaurants offer a 'Menu del Dia' or 'Menu of the Day'. This is a three course meal, plus a glass of wine, for literally the price of a snack. General Franco started the tradition so that the working people could enjoy a nutritious meal at a price that they could afford. So the Menu is offered between 2 p.m and 3 p.m daily. A perfect time for a lunch break! Most restaurants advertise this on a board outside, but some keep it quiet and you have to ask! The local people know this of course, but tourists don't!

A delicious soup, full of flavour.

There's usually a choice of three or four items per course, and the first course may be salad or soup. At an average price of EUR9 or EUR10, it is a great way to have lunch! (At our current Rand/EUR exchange rate, I shan't scare myself by working that out in Rand!)

The two grannies and The Paella!

And what would a Spanish food blog be without mentioning paella? Or jamón? Irina's mum made the most delicious paella for us, complete with the ink from the squid that turns it black but adds that special flavour. Either wear a bib or wear black clothing when you eat this, as the ink stains!

From free range, acorn fed happy pigs!

Jamón is the Spanish word for Ham. There are two types, Jamón Serrano, or ham from the sierra or mountains, and Jamón Ibérico from the Black Iberian Pigs. The jamón is dry-cured for about 18 months and the best is from free range, acorn fed pigs. It is eaten thinly sliced and is delicious!

Thinly sliced and full of flavour.

Just writing about this is making me hungry!

2 comments:

Cat Russell said...

Oooh made me hungry too! :-) x

Rob Parkinson said...

Now that you have sampled all those different dishes I am quite willing to be a Guinea Pig if you want to re-create them!! Rob