Wednesday 24 October 2012

A Dubaai Braai!


I know that this is a little late for the real thing, (well, only a month really!) but I want to share my National Braai Day with you! As you may remember, and as the four week gap in the blogging may show, I have been away. I am now fairly nonchalant about airports, booking in on-line, boarding passes, going to the loo before necessary to avoid having to queue when it is very necessary, airline food in plastic packets, balancing a three course airline dinner with cheese and biscuits and packets of sugar and cutlery on plastic trays (and eating said three course dinner with my arms pinned to my sides), drinking coffee during turbulence (eish) and managing to find a movie by touch-screen  which often means jabbing at the screen while the chap in front decides to recline his seat so you can't see the movie anyway because it is now  too close!

Proudly South African, our own Iwisa brand!

But I digress!! September the 24th saw me in Dubai, staying with my daughter and her husband so, being true South Africans, we had a braai! The really exciting thing was going to the local supermarket and seeing our Iwisa brand maize meal sitting on the shelf next to other imported brands. I felt right at home!



The chef at work!

Because it was autumn, and my daughter told me that it was cooling down and the evenings were becoming quite pleasant, I assumed that we could sit outside!! Wrong. My idea of cool is about 24 degrees but there, when summer temperatures reach into the early 50's, her idea of cool was 39. So Stuart was outside, standing over a hot Weber in a 37 degree evening, an imported beer in his hand, while we sat inside watching him in air-conditioned comfort sipping our imported French wine!

A sight to make your mouth water!

I know it sounds very posh and a bit showoffy to keep saying 'imported', but most things in Dubai are and the malls are stocked with clothing, kitchen ware, furnishings and fittings from around the world. Even the names are imported, 'Marks and Spencer's , 'C & A', to name two. So, our tomatoes and salad ingredients were French, the steak was from Argentina and the lamb chops were from New Zealand!

Happy Braai Day 2012!

Our braai was wonderful and we raised a glass or two to absent friends and family. It was the start of my two weeks with them and all my 'butterflies' were at rest. For the time being!

A really great way to begin a holiday.................a braai with loved ones.

No comments: