Sunday 12 August 2012

Wild, Wet and Windy!


I know that it's a bit soon for yet another blog, but I just had to share the weather with you! We have literally had all four seasons in the last thirty-six hours, with a cyclone thrown in for good measure! (Well, it felt like one.) I decided to show you the Weskus version of snow in a field, so we went for a little drive on Thursday and saw just what I wanted. Look, white with snow hey?

Snow Weskus style.

I cannot tell a lie, so I have to admit that you are looking at a field of flowers! These are Rain Daisies, or Dimorphotheca pluvialis, to give them their correct name! We have had lots and lots of rain, so the flowers are expected to be good this year, and this is a start.


So, that was Thursday, balmy and beautiful, lulling us all into a false sense of security. Being a long weekend, owners and friends arrived at their holiday homes, all prepared to have a weekend of relaxation. Even the chance of rain didn't matter, after all it is the winter and 'cold, wet and windy' doesn't bother us! Then Friday arrived and by the time we went to bed it was very cloudy and wet. Yes, well. We woke up in the night to gale force winds of over 80 kph, driving rain that sounded like bullets on our tin roof, and the gentle feeling of water dripping on my head. The wind was so strong that it had forced the rain up the roof and under the metal cap at the top. Then the water had found it's way in and down...........in the form of drips! Fortunately it was only a few and I was prepared, I grabbed the rubbish bin from the bathroom.

The light on the sea is beautiful.

Saturday was the same. Rob lit the fire after breakfast, we had logs at the ready, and we battened the hatches, I made scones and we stayed in! We had squalls of driving rain, wind that howled and somewhere our roof developed a 'whistle', that came and went depending on the strength of the wind. I was quite prepared to see my garden ripped up by the roots and dumped over the wall but the only casualty that I can see is the bougainvillea. The icy cold wet wind has burnt the leaves that took the full blast of the weather. We were lucky though, our neighbour lost a couple of branches and round the corner there is a tree that is now split in three.

A casualty of  Nature.

By lunchtime most visitors had left, bracing themselves for the drive home and not wanting to risk another night of storms and leaks! We drove round the village later in the afternoon and took some photos of the sea, turned from a gentle blue to a furious grey and white. It somehow seemed bigger than normal, and the foam whipped around us like snow flakes. It was impossible to hold the camera still and our lips went numb as we tried to speak.

Luckily the boat was tied firmly.

Thank goodness last night was calm and dry! And then, after all the rain, wind and storm, only then did we lose power! For two hours. So Rob and I played 'Scrabble by gaslight' and the power returned just in time for us to watch Caster Semenya run and win a silver! A fitting end to the weekend. All in all we had 32 mm rain in thirty six hours!

Magnificent.

This morning I managed to get some washing done. But, as I look out of the window I see clouds coming our way!

Time for scones and coffee I think!

1 comment:

Cat Russell said...

aaah I could do with a scone and a coffee!!! Nice x