Sunday 22 April 2012

Earth Day!

Hands up who recognises this logo??

Ron Cobb's 1969 Ecology Symbol
I imagine anyone living overseas would recognise it straight away as being the symbol for Earth Day, which is today 22 April. I didn't know that, and I doubt whether many South Africans would know that either! I say this because we listen to the radio daily, we watch TV news, and not once have I heard the words 'Earth Day', mentioned at ALL. Not once. I only knew this as I happened to go onto Google this morning and saw the wonderful animated doodle of greenery and growing flowers!

Thanks to Google.
So, I looked it up, did some sleuthing and discovered that it is not a small idea thought up by a couple of people. No, Earth Day is celebrated in over 175 countries.......but not in South Africa. Is that because we have so many other problems and issues here that make news, that nobody bothers with the 'small stuff'? We are a journalists paradise, but for all the wrong reasons.

The day was first observed on 21 March 1970, that day being the first day of spring in the Northern Hemisphere and first day of autumn in the Southern Hemisphere. To create awareness and appreciation of Earth's Natural Environment, in 2009 the United Nations designated 22 April as 'International Mother Earth Day'.

As Earth's natural environment is rapidly giving way to overpopulation and destruction of what little beauty is left, as a mother, she must be weeping by now for what has gone and can never be replaced.

No comments: