Thursday 22 March 2012

World Water Day 2012.

Today, March 22 2012, is World Water Day, with this year's theme 'Water and Food Security'. The United Nations General Assembly announced the very first World Water Day on March 22, 1993, and it has been held on this day since then, with a new theme for each year.
Currently there are 7 billion people jostling for water on our poor, overburdened earth, and another 2 billion by 2050! Assuming that each person consumes between 2 and 4 litres of water a day, that's a lot of water! Interestingly though, most of the water that we 'drink' is in the food that we eat, (yes, Irish I know!), for example, it takes a staggering 15 000 litres of water to produce 1 kilogram of beef! And, 1 kilogram of wheat 'drinks' 1 500 litres!

So, I hear you say, what can we do about it? Well, I shall tell you!

Action at home! (Don't you just love that expression?)

* Limit Water use. (This means that I do not have to wash the car! That’s my bit for water saving!)

* Offer your coffee money or host a water talk. (Hmmm!)

* Send a letter or a mail to five friends telling them about World Water Day. (I am sure five of my friends will read this blog! Done!)

* Educate neighbours about global water crisis. (My neighbours are mostly educated!)

* Conduct a 'water-walk' at school or the office. (Too late, I am retired! We shall walk with Alfie!)

Adding on to the first point about limiting water use, we do that, we have shower heads that add a lot of air, so it sounds like a good shower but it uses very little water. We also have rain water tanks to catch most of the rain from the roof, so that gives us 7 500 litres of 'free' water. Rob is now making plans to have a smaller tank on the garage roof to catch water to flush the downstairs loo, it is such a waste to use clean water for that. We have already placed a full 500 ml water bottle in the cisterns to reduce the amount that flushes each time!

Anyway, after I had done the research on World Water Day, I meandered further on the 'net, and came up with some other fascinating World Day information. You will just love these, I am still chuckling!

*World Egg Day is held on 10 October (in 2002 it was estimated that each person eats 261 eggs each year!)
*World Handwashing Day is 15 October
*World Pasta Day is 25 October.
(I wonder why October has so many fascinating World Days?)
*World Violin Day is 13 December. (Honestly!)
*World Zoonosis Day is July 6. Now, I had to check that out, it turns out that Zoonosis is an ailment that can be transmitted from animals to humans, e.g. Mad Cow and Rabies.

And, finally, my all-time favourite.

19 June is.............................World Sauntering Day! I kid you not! It is to revive the Victorian art of sauntering, and I quote: ‘to de-motivate the style of lollygagging, sashaying, fast walking, jogging and trotting!’ And, believe it or not, there are rules to follow!

Wear loose clothing, do not hurry, and, have a dog with floppy ears and a waggy tail!

See, we have all the necessary items for Sauntering Day!

That sounds familiar; Rob and I have World Sauntering Day every day!

No comments: