Thursday 2 February 2012

Our Fully Qualified Camping Dog!

Our boy is famous.......again!! Towards the end of last year Rob took out a subscription to a magazine called 'Caravan and outdoor life' and we read it from cover to cover every month. We have actually used a couple of their ideas in Gemsquash too, Rob sawed off the end of the table which gives us more room inside (I told you it was compact!) and yesterday he fixed a wooden roller towel holder on the cupboard. We just have to remember to make sure that the towel is firmly held closed with an elastic band, as it has a way of unrolling itself with movement and I have visions of opening the caravan door and fighting my way through half a kilometre of roller towel ready to escape! Anyway, I decided to write to the editor of the magazine with a little story about our last camping trip to Clanwilliam, and how Alfie was a Fully Qualified Camping Dog!

Our hot dog looking like Road Kill!

Rob had taken some lovely photos of Alfie (of course) and the campsite and the surrounding area, so I sent two photos of Alfie (of course) with a covering letter. Back came a reply with a request to send the photos in high resolution as he wanted to use them in the February edition of the magazine!

Our campsite

Now, usually the magazine arrives in our post box several days before it arrives on the shelves of the supermarkets etc, so we were sure that we would see it first. Wrong. The first we knew about it was an sms with the picture of the article from friends of ours who were in their caravan in Scottburgh on the Kwa-Zulu Natal coast! It was frustratingly too small to read, but we could see a tiny Alfie on his chair! So the next morning I drove into town and went to the post box. Nothing. Then my sister sent a text to say what lovely pics of Alfie, she had bought the magazine in Pietermaritzburg. So, the next morning I drove into town to check the post box again. Nothing. By now I was desperate, so I tried all the shops that sell the magazine and came up empty handed!! Off to the post box again the following afternoon and as I opened the box slowly with one eye closed I realised that it was there! I was strong enough to drive home first without ripping it open where I stood! And there, on page 8 was the article!

The article as it appears in 'Caravan' magazine!

And here it is for you to see! I hope that you can read it!

1 comment:

TJAK said...

Yay, you are in print! :-)