Saturday 5 November 2011

There's (g)no(me) place like home!

We have just returned from a wonderful few days at a caravan park near Hermanus, the Whale Capital of South Africa! And yes, I saw wonderful sightings of them, rolling, wallowing and blowing just below us, putting on a show for me that brought tears to my eyes. They are truly amazing and the image will remain with me for many years. However, this blog has absolutely nothing to do with whales, as the title suggests!

Gordon Bennet AKA Sneezy!

I would like to introduce you to Gordon Bennet. Why that name? My granny used to say that name in the same way people now days say 'Good Grief!', or worse! I bought him many years ago and refused to paint him in the way that the usual garden ornaments are painted. Whenever I moved, so did he, he has been rained on and sat on and birds have used him as a halfway stop between feeding trays. He used to have a smaller companion called Arnold Bennet, but Arnold was not as strong as Gordon and had a nasty accident with a spade several years ago. Then I found Bill and Ben at a nursery near home, Bill has a little pig tucked under his arm and was reduced in price because he has a chip on his nose!

Bill and Ben and unknown pig!

When we moved here, Rob tried his best to leave them behind by telling me that the removal men would not load them in the van as it was 'bad luck' to tavel with gnomes. As you see, nobody paid any attention to that!
Whenever we travel to new places, I love to peer into gardens and see what people have in the way of ornamentation, although some makes me shudder!

Gnome Heaven

BUT, this garden made us both smile! It is just around the corner from the caravan park and is obviously passed by hundreds of people who also smile and stop to have a look as the grass outside was worn away by cars parking to take a look! There are literally hundreds of gnomes in every size, shape, form and colour. They are grouped under trees, on poles, in the flower beds, on the veranda and the house is called 'Grumpy's Nest'.

This garden makes you smile.

I would have loved to meet the owner, as no-one who is surrounded by such fun, could possibly be grumpy!

No comments: